- 2 slices of crustless country bread, cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground beef (or a combination of lamb, pork and beef)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons more for the pan
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley (or basil), chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds San Marzano tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly oil a baking sheet.
Check video in my youtube channel here.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes with the milk until absorbed. Add the egg and mix. In another bowl add the meat and the bread mixture. Add herbs, spices, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well by hand. Add the cheese and mix until incorporated.
Heat a large pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Take enough meat to form a golf size meatball and add it to the heated pan. Fill the pan with the rest of meatballs and let them cook until golden brown on both sides. Add the tomato and season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook on low heat covered for about 30 minutes more, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Do not overcook.