- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon ginger, sliced
- 4 cups water or chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onion and ginger, and sauté, stirring, just until the onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add the carrots, stock (or water) and parsley. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Add nutmeg, fennel seeds, lemon zest, white wine vinegar and tomato paste. Cook for 15 minutes more to infuse all the flavor.
Purée the soup in a blender or food processor.
Add salt and pepper to taste (if needed). Serve plain or garnished with basil.