This is a great springtime dish using seasonal ingredients. Perfect for Mother’s Day brunch at home.
– 1 rustic loaf or ciabatta, diced and crust removed
– 2 spring onions, cleaned and thinly sliced
– 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
– 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
– 1 lemon
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 1/2 cup milk
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon nutmeg
– 2 teaspoon of salt
– 1 cup parmiggiano reggiano cheese.
In a medium sauté pan over low heat, cook the spring onion with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Add the the asparagus, a pinch of salt and thyme, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the zest and juice of the lemon.
Whisk the heavy cream, the milk, the eggs, the nutmeg and the salt until combined.
Oil a baking dish with the rest of the oil. Place half of the bread cubes and top with half of the asparagus mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese over. Repeat layering.
Pour the milk mixture evenly on top of the sformato. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Bake the sformato at 350F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve hot or warm.